[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed Mar 17 08:34:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:19:42AM -0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
> > Returning smaller sets of data from a huge sample size is
> > exactly what jabber:iq:search is for.. AND it already
> > allows you use jabber:x:data to embed whatever information
> > you want into the results
>
> Great. That would do it. :)
>
> It's just that JEP-55 gave me a very clear impression that jabber:iq:search
> is now only supposed to be used for JUD, and that it will be depricated
> soon. I have carefully avoided using it for anything except JUD.

jabber:iq:search can be easily replaced by more generic Ad-Hoc Commands.
All the power is in the Data Forms anyway, so this would not be a big
change. And the use of that could be transparent to user even without
special client support - it would be enough that client knows MUC,
Ad-Hoc Commands, Data Forms and gives user access to the MUC component
commands (e.g. context menu). 'Search' command would be implemented like
any other action on the component.

> > AFAIK, JEP-45 does not MANDATE that clients can disco
> > to get an entire list of the rooms.
>
> JEP-45 does not even mention jabber:iq:search exists. :(
>
> Perhaps we need to add something to JEP-45 to make things clear?

IMHO this is not neccessary. If we add info about jabber:iq:search to
JEP-45, then why not add info about any other JEP that may be usefull
for MUC? We could end with JEPs containing big lists of other JEPs and
updated just to add another JEP.

Greets,
	Jacek