[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0111 (TINS)

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Wed Mar 17 08:54:09 UTC 2004

Hi Joe,

> > - Having two separate goals may lead to a JEP that is too
> > generic: you will probably need a separate paragraph for each
> > case, or two JEPs (see other comments)
>
> Just so I understand, the two goals from this sentence are
> SIP and H.323?

No, actually I meant communication between Jabber clients and
communication between Jabber clients and SIP clients through a gateway.
Because the former requires a lot less protocol exchanges than the
latter IMHO (when we implemented TINS last year, I personnally had hard
times trying to persuade client developers that they MUST send a trying
and a ringing when they could just accept the call because both peers
were online and knew their capabilities already ...).

As you said, I think we both agree that this iteration of the JEP is
more focussed on the gateway case, and that SIP requires a _lot_ of
protocol exchanges. But maybe we should follow one of the Jabber rule
(simple client/complex server), and leave all the SIP complexity up to
the gateway ?
At the opposite is another option: to switch directly to oob SIP when
you want to talk to a SIP client. But this is more related to the points
raised by Damon.

David