[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Mar 17 11:34:10 UTC 2004

> I've slept on this now. My 'verbose' option was definitely a BAD solution
> the real problem. Thank you Peter and Richard, for taking the trouble to
> guide me away from it. :)

Cool

> Peter wrote:
> > The Exodus browser ONLY fetches disco#info for each
> > child entity if there are 20 items or less.
>
> I agree, GUI operations are latency-sensitive (20 disco#info
> request/response roundtrips take too long). And humans generally don't
want
> to read through more than 20 items in a list anyway.

Maybe another option if you have a large list is to only disco#info the
items that are currently visible, i.e. if you have a large list of items it
will likely scroll down out of view, so as the user cannot see the rest of
the items initailly it only makes sence to disco#info initially the items
they can, and only when the user scrolls down disco#info more of the items.

> disco#items results may, of course, contain a mixture of 'room'
directories
> and 'directory' directories (and any other category/types for that
matter).

Yup categorising rooms into a tree directory/folder structure is definatelly
a very good way to make a large number of rooms far more managable, seems
perfect.

Richard