[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 10:05:41 UTC 2004

> > - In the medium term we need the new general search JEP that
> > people have already mentioned.

> Why do we need a new JEP??? JEP-55 defines the jabber:iq:search
> protocol which should be adequate for ALL possible needs (since
> you can leverage x-data in this protocol).

If JEP-55 is read from the perspective of someone new to XMPP (who does not
know that jabber:iq:search has been used for things other than JUD) then the
perfectly natural conclusion is that jabber:iq:search is ONLY for JUD.

JEP-55's Introduction only talks about "user directories" and, surprisingly,
users.jabber.org. There isn't even a sentence that leaves the door open for
other possible uses. All of the Use Cases, and even the Extensibiity
example, concern searching a user directory. The examples in JEP-4 (the only
other JEP I know that mentions jabber:iq:search) are also about a user
directory.

> Why do people think jabber:iq:search is deprecated??? This does NOT
> appear anywhere in the JEP. It's information. period.

Since you're interested, I can tell you why I thought it was all but
depricated. ;)

I knew that jabber:iq:search has been used for many things. I noted the fact
that JEP-55 only talks about JUD. I assumed that the intention of the
authors of JEP-55 was to discourage (but not prevent) jabber:iq:search being
used for other things, in preparation for an upcoming "standards-track
protocol to supersede this informational document".

IMHO these innocent misunderstandings can be resolved by adding one or two
sentences to the introduction of JEP-55. :)