[Standards-JIG] DEFERRED: JEP-0113 (Simple Whiteboarding)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Fri Mar 19 21:32:13 UTC 2004

Hai,

for a start, here my additions:

TEXT:
  I added a text element. I know the arguments agains text:
    - Text is difficult because of fonts and
    - Assumed JEP-113 re-uses SVG and assumed JEP-113 is simple. Then
      text in general is ruled out, because SVG-text is complex, which
      the simplicity assumption.

  However, as you wrote: typical karma settings make path based text
  impossible. If we want simple text then we must deviate from SVG. Here

  is what I have: I do not really need text as a graphical design
element,
  but as an annotation. So, text is rather an opaque rectangle with text

  inside. I am using:
    <text x=1 y=2 w=30 h=40 stroke=#000000 stroke-width=5>Text</text>
  The attributes describe the rectangle. The payload text has no styles
  at all yet. While I am writing I just discover, that it might be nice
  to merge the <text/>, which is basically a rectangle, with the path
  element, so that any <path/> can have a payload Text. Maybe like
<message/>
  with <subject/> and <body/> sub-tags. I would not define where the
  annotation is attached to the path. That's up to the implementation.
It
  is not a content element, like SVG-text.

SHAPE HINT
  I also implemented pointers, which are just paths with a fixed shape.
But
  for the implementation it was nice to know that it is a pointer. The
  shape is fixed. It can not be changed accidentally. The hotspot is
always
  at the tip of the pointer (arrow).
  I implemented a rectange to frame things. It is a path, but it is nice

  for the implementation to 'know' that it is a rectangle. Moving a
point
  of the path will keep the rectangle shape by adjusting other points.
  So, I propose a 'shape' hint for the <path/>
  The shape-attribute also helps to position the annotation
appropriatly.

ALTERNATE POSITIONING
  My whiteboard draws on the web page where people meet (Peter, if you
read
  this: yes, I am talking about the LLuna project).
  For the whiteboard on the web page I added a positioning relative to
DOM
  elements of the underlying browser window. I use a uri-attribute for
the
  path. The uri-attribute overrides absolute coordinate based
positioning.
  It looks like:
    uri='dom:/BODY[1]/DIV[2]/IMG[1]#(225,98)'
  This means the position is pixel (225,98) relative to the element
which
  is the 1st IMG in the 2nd DIV of the 1st BODY tag. There is usually
only
  one, but of course, I keep the index for consistency.
  BTW: the URI refers to a pixel. Is a pixel a resource in the URI
sense?
  Expressing the absolute URI including the URL of the document:
    uri='http://www.jabber.org/#dom:/BODY[1]/DIV[2]/IMG[1]#(225,98)'
  There is a frameset issue. Each frame has a complete DOM. The uri is
like:
    uri='dom:/BODY[1]/FRAMESET[1]/FRAME[2]/BODY[1]/TABLE[1]/TR[2]/...

  using one DOM as a start, the switching to another DOM, if a FRAME
comes
  in the way.

2. Add optional shape-attribute for path with values like: 'rect',
'pointer'.
3. Add an optional uri-attribute for DOM-based positioning.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG