[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 22 20:22:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:05:41AM -0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
> > > - In the medium term we need the new general search JEP that
> > > people have already mentioned.
>
> > Why do we need a new JEP??? JEP-55 defines the jabber:iq:search
> > protocol which should be adequate for ALL possible needs (since
> > you can leverage x-data in this protocol).
>
> If JEP-55 is read from the perspective of someone new to XMPP (who does not
> know that jabber:iq:search has been used for things other than JUD) then the
> perfectly natural conclusion is that jabber:iq:search is ONLY for JUD.
>
> JEP-55's Introduction only talks about "user directories" and, surprisingly,
> users.jabber.org. There isn't even a sentence that leaves the door open for
> other possible uses. All of the Use Cases, and even the Extensibiity
> example, concern searching a user directory. The examples in JEP-4 (the only
> other JEP I know that mentions jabber:iq:search) are also about a user
> directory.
>
> > Why do people think jabber:iq:search is deprecated??? This does NOT
> > appear anywhere in the JEP. It's information. period.
>
> Since you're interested, I can tell you why I thought it was all but
> depricated. ;)
>
> I knew that jabber:iq:search has been used for many things. I noted the fact
> that JEP-55 only talks about JUD. I assumed that the intention of the
> authors of JEP-55 was to discourage (but not prevent) jabber:iq:search being
> used for other things, in preparation for an upcoming "standards-track
> protocol to supersede this informational document".
>
> IMHO these innocent misunderstandings can be resolved by adding one or two
> sentences to the introduction of JEP-55. :)

I'll add some information about other uses to JEP-0055.

If we're going to build chatroom directories (which is what we'd need to
advertise 1000 rooms on a MUC service, let alone a global directory of
chatrooms across multiple services), we'll need to use jabber:iq:search
to find rooms, not service discovery!

/psa