[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0055 (Jabber Searching)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 22 21:49:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:21:25PM -0800, Chris Mullins wrote:

> If we're going to plan on using iq:search for offering up large numbers
> of MUC rooms and other related things, then it needs to be changed from
> "informational" over to "standards track".

That is possible. I recently raised a related issue with the Council:

http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/council/2004-March/001245.html

I did not include JEP-0055 on my list of JEPs that we might consider
"upgrading" from Informational to Standards Track, but it's worth
thinking about since it is used widely and is extensible now through
JEP-0004.

> Although I don't see it in the JEP, I remember IQ:Search results as
> trickling in, a few stanzas at a time, with a final "done" stanza
> indicating the search is complete. That behavior is not XMPP compliant,
> as it does not follow the one request / one response pattern demanded by
> XMPP for all IQ stanzas. (Am I thinking of something else? I would swear
> I remember reading this in the JEP).

That may have been documented in the old Jabber Programmer's Guide
(though I don't see it [1]), but was never included in the JEP, for
good reasons. :-)

Peter

[1] http://www.jabber.org/old-docs/jpg/