[Standards-JIG] RE: [jdev] Call for Experience: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Chris Mullins cmullins at winfessor.com
Mon Mar 22 22:06:25 UTC 2004

PSA Wrote:
> 1. Who has implemented JEP-0030?

I have implemented Disco in both the SoapBox SDK and in the SoapBox
Server 2004.

> 2. Have implementers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in JEP-0030?

I encountered significant confusion as to the different between Items
and Info. Every developer I have had to help implement Disco has had a
similar confusion. It is unclear, as to the differences between these
two, and when one should be preferred over the other. The relationship
between them is also unclear.

I am not convinced that section 5, "Publication of Available Items"
belongs as part of this JEP. It seems to be an extension, rather than
part of the core protocol. What is the use-case that is driving this?

On the whole, the JEP is excellent. It is well defined and has a good
number of examples.

--
Chris Mullins