[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0055 (Jabber Searching)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 22 23:40:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:38:49AM +1100, Barry Latimer wrote:
> Just had a quick look at this JEP and realised that the XML Schema is incorrect.
>
> The query element needs an "ANY" element added to it otherwise the Example 7 is not "valid" xml.

Actually, I think we want to include *only* the <x/> element qualified
by the 'jabber:x:data' namespace, not just any old XML. So:

  <xs:element name='query'>
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:choice>
        <xs:sequence minOccurs='0'
                     maxOccurs='1'
                     xmlns:xdata='jabber:x:data'>
          <xs:element name='instructions' type='xs:string' minOccurs='0'/>
          <xs:element name='first' type='xs:string' minOccurs='0'/>
          <xs:element name='last' type='xs:string' minOccurs='0'/>
          <xs:element name='nick' type='xs:string' minOccurs='0'/>
          <xs:element name='email' type='xs:string' minOccurs='0'/>
          <xs:element ref='xdata:x' minOccurs='0'/>
        </xs:sequence>
        <xs:element ref='item' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded'/>
      </xs:choice>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>

> Also shouldn't the elements
> - first
> - last
> - nick
>
> include the xml:lang attribute to help define search terms in different languages ?

The requesting entity SHOULD specify its preferred xml:lang in the
request, as so:

<iq to='service' type='set' xml:lang='cz'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:search'>
    <x xmlns='jabber:x:data'>
      form submission here!
    </x>
  </query>
</iq>

And of course the search request will be based on the empty form
provided by the service in the IQ result sent in response to the
initial IQ get (which in turn SHOULD have an xml:lang specified).

So by the time search results come in, the requesting entity will
know whether its preferred language is supported. There is no need
to support multiple languages in the search results as far as I can
see.