[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0055 (Jabber Searching)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Mar 23 00:01:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:52:41PM -0800, JD Conley wrote:
> Do we really want to limit the extensibility to x:data?  It would be
> nice if it the node could support any valid namespace.  A custom
> application may want to include hierarchical data or a more simple
> namespace than x:data.  Obviously this data would not be supported by
> every client out there, but I think the protocol should be extensible
> enough to allow it.  Same goes for disco. . .  Perhaps saying something
> like "clients should support x:data forms for extensibility" would be
> sufficient.

In general, any Jabber XML *could* contain an extension at *any* point.
The JEP defines through text where you *might* expect an extension, but
it's friendly to put it in the schema, too, which is what we're talking
about here. Custom applications could always define their own schemas
rather than using the one from the JEP (which is only descriptive in any
case).

/psa