[Standards-JIG] Call for Experience: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Mar 22 23:23:24 UTC 2004

> 1. Who has implemented JEP-0030? I am aware of several client, server,
> and component implementations, including jabberd 1.4.3, jabberd 2.0,
> Exodus, and mu-conference. Further examples would be helpful.

As noted, I've implemented it in jabberd 2.0 with a minimum of fuss. The
implementation includes both the traditional "static list" of known
services, as well as using the disco protocol to query new components
for service information and make that information available to clients.

> 2. Have implementers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in JEP-0030? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

I think that Chris Mullins' point about the publishing may be considered
an extension and not part of the "core" disco spec is a good one.
jabberd 2.0 implements this in an entirely seperate part of the code,
which doesn't touch the core disco implementation at all.

Having said that, I voted +1 on moving disco to Draft, and I would still
vote +1 on moving to Final even if publishing remained in the spec. I
don't think its enough of an issue.

> 3. Is the text of JEP-0030 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> necessary? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have implementers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

I had no problem following the text and examples.

Rob.