[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 10:14:10 UTC 2004

Peter wrote Saint-Andre wrote:
> If we're going to build chatroom directories (which is what we'd
> need to advertise 1000 rooms on a MUC service...), we'll need to
> use jabber:iq:search to find rooms, not service discovery!

I don't agree. Even the very largest chat sites (like
http://chat.yahoo.com/) structure their rooms into categories. They do not
offer search at all.

People often prefer to explore rather than search. We (usually) explore the
many thousands of items in the directory structure of our hard disk. We
(almost always) search the billions of pages on the Web (although Google
also offers the enourmous ODP directory http://www.google.pt/dirhp).

We need to offer both sub-directories and search (even for relatively large
datasets).

BTW, we keep talking about "HUGE" numbers of MUC rooms. But a service
administrator who knows that humans don't like to look through long lists,
and who knows how clients (like Exodus) behave, would choose to structure
just 21 rooms into two sub-directories. By the same arguments, 401 rooms
would already require two levels of subdirectories.

Ian