[Standards-JIG] Call for Experience: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 10:17:08 UTC 2004

Anyone who read my comments about JEP-0030 last week - and is as bored as I
am with the subject ;) - can skip this post.

> 1. Who has implemented JEP-0030?

JEP-30 was implemented for the Chatterbox Web client (but only for MUC
servers up to now).

> 3. Is the text of JEP-0030 clear and unambiguous?

The JEP left me with the (false) impression that nodes could only be used
when "items associated with the target entity are NOT addressable as JIDs".
This could be solved with a simple statement and/or an example (see below).

> Are more examples necessary?

Structure is fundamental to any directory specification.

IMHO JEP-0030 needs an example showing how to return structured results.
Otherwise implementors may overlook that possibility/ desirability/
necessity.

I liked Peter Millard's example of how a sub-directory structure could be
added automatically with nodes named "A"-"Z" (category="directory",
type="directory").

Otherwise the JEP seems good. :)

Thank you.

Ian