[Standards-JIG] jep-0025

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 16:16:42 UTC 2004

SEN wrote:
> I think, that you must develop this jep-0025 (v 2.0)
> in parallel with 124.

We considered that. Unfortunately the changes you are proposing for JEP-0025
would be incompatible with all existing clients and servers.

The main reason JEP-0025 is not extensible is because it is not an XML
protocol. To avoid repeating the same situation in the future, any
replacement for JEP-0025 should be XML.

SEN wrote:
> Im know it, but jep-0025 more simple for realizing then jep-124 for
> MobilePhone & PDA (and servers)

[For similar reasons to you, I implemented a client and a server for a
version of JEP-25 with the minimum necessary changes. More recently I
implemented a client and a server for JEP-124.]

>From a client developer's point of view, if JEP-124 is used to poll, then
the major differences between the two JEPs are syntactical. In my
experience, apart from parsing the XML, the JEP-124 client is no more
difficult to develop.

If a JEP-124 server only implements polling behaviour, then it needs to
verify that the responses it sends to the client do not contain partial
stanzas.

JEP-124 is being written specifically for developers of restricted clients
(WAP, PDA, desktop browser etc). So please explain exactly which problems
you have with the protocol.