network integrity (was Re: [[Standards-JIG] jep-0025])

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Mar 25 23:21:20 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 11:40 am, maqi at jabberstudio.org wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Sen wrote:
> > My Ideas (corrected for compatable): Guarantee delivery
> >  When connection break (not correctly closed) , messages which have
> > been sent disappear ...
>
> It's pretty simple to solve this even for standard TCP connections. The
> server should keep a list of messages that gets cleared everytime the
> clients sends some data or gracefully logs off. In case of a broken
> connection, the messages should get stored as offline messages on the
> server.
>
> This does not need any extensions to JEP-25 and would help the people on
> standard XMPP TCP connections, too.

I, too, would really like to see this in XMPP TCP.  I discussed this in
December:

  http://www.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-December/004589.html

The TCP queue tracking is an interesting solution, although it does not work
if a proxy is involved.  I think we might want some form of c2s stanza
acking.  Maybe this could be another <stream:feature>.

-Justin