[Standards-JIG] Client-Client authentication with x509 certificates

Ian Stokes-Rees i.stokes-rees1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 19:03:49 UTC 2004

[meta-comment: this may not be the right list to post this on.  Please
let me know if XMPPWG is a better one]

I been working with jabber for about 6 months now, and am finally
getting in to the security side of things.  We are already using a very
well developed x509 infrastructure for grid computing, and we would like
to make use of Jabber for communication between services, "grid jobs",
and users.

I have now read both the IETF drafts, and many of the Jabber JEPs, but I
think I have missed something.  I see how, in principal, a client can
authenticate to a server using TLS and XMPP (I would love to see details
on how this is configured for a jabberd2 server, however), and then
start an encrypted, authenticated session.  This is mutual
authentication, not just plain vanilla SSL with *only* self signed
server certificate.  So far, this sounds good.  The problem is that most
users, I think, don't care about authenticating to the server, so much
as they care authenticating with the other jabber users (or software
"agents" or "clients" authenticating to other "agents" or "clients")

The current system, so far as I can tell, only provides two things:

1) For the client, a fair degree of certainty that it is talking to the
intended jabber server;
2) For the server, a fair degree of certainty that it is talking to the
claimed user/client JID.

This is fine so long as all the server cares about is authenticating the
clients which connect to it (which is probably the case), *and* that all
the client cares about is authenticating the server which it connects to
(which is probably *not* the case).  The client really cares about
clients.  The fact that they come via a server is a technical detail.  I
believe the client wants (and needs) to receive cryptographically signed
from the indicated sender.  Without this there can be no guarantee that
the server has not been compromised, or that some rogue server is
fabricating messages and sending them via a s2s connection.

I think it is necessary to introduce a mechanism to sign stanzas and
deal with key distribution between clients so that client A and client B
can share their public keys auto-magically.  A system to map JIDs to CAs
(a sort of signing policy system) may also be valuable, but, at first
thought, probably not possible.  Maybe just some way to fetch an x509
Distinguished Name which matches a JID, so client B, on receiving a
signed message from client A, can figure out which public key to use to
check the signing.

The Globus projects x509 proxy certificate system *may* work here,
provided jabber users are happy to temporarily give the server their
identity to use.

If I have misunderstood this, please let me know!  I would be
particularly interested in being pointed at an JEPs or other
documentation regarding security and Jabber.

Ian.
Ian Stokes-Rees              i.stokes-rees at physics.ox.ac.uk
Particle Physics, Oxford     http://www-pnp.physics.ox.ac.uk/~stokes