[Standards-JIG] Re: [Members] Re: MOTION: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Mar 30 08:18:47 UTC 2004

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 02:21:36PM +0100, Richard Dobson wrote:
> > I was not talking about clients, I was talking about the MSN transport
>
> If the escaping/unescaping is only to be done on the transport then ther
> is no reason to use some standard instead of current, widely used and
> simpler solution.

It only "needs" to be used on the transport to start with, but it is still a
useful feature to have in the client as it allows you to make transports in
the interface far more transparent and easy to understand rather than with
the current situation of people not really understanding what they are and
what to do (normal novice users I am referring to, the people that make up
the majority of real computer users), using a standard escaping mechanism
allows you do decode the addresses in a reliable way so when users look at
the properties of a transport user it will show user at hotmail.com rather than
a rather complicated and confusing user%40hotmail.com at msn.domain.com,
talking with novice users who I get to take a look at Jabber this is
definately a point of confusion that using escaping can eliminate.

Richard