[Standards-JIG] JEP for storing annotations

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Fri Oct 1 09:12:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:34, Rottenberg, Hal wrote:
> I don't see any glaring technical issues not already mentioned.  I would
> like to second the author in saying that there is no reason to constrain
> this to contacts.  I would certainly see the benefit in perhaps
> annotating a unique or complex transport (Jogger for example?) by adding
> usage notes or a link to its homepage.

That's an interesting idea.  I agree that this can apply to all roster items
(the only reason to detach it from the roster itself would just be that your
client doesn't always want to pull down the annotations.)

But you know what would also be good... being able to send these annotations
from user to user, the same way roster items are traded.  Then you could do
things like sending another user more information about how to use a
transport, which could be handy for support type roles as well.

Another thought... we're really talking about a metadata overlay here, where
information from the user overlays the information from the actual entity.
Whatever we do here might be good to plan for being more than simple strings.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/