[Standards-JIG] Disco and components

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Sun Oct 3 19:37:53 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how components and disco are supposed to
interact. If a client queries a server for disco items:

<iq type='get'
    from='user at example.com'
    to='example.com'
    id='items1'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'/>
</iq>

Then the result should probably include all components:

<iq type='result'
    from='example.com'
    to='user at example.com'
    id='items1'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
    <item jid='service.example.com'
          name='This is some component'/>
  </query>
</iq>

How does a component notify the server of its "name"?

It seems like there are two options:

 1) Component pushes the information to the server somehow.
disco#publish doesn't seem like it's suitable for this.
 2) Server gets the information from the component. The server could do
a disco request on the component when the component connects to the
server and then just use the "name" information.

I can't find this documented in any JEP's, so pointers would be
appreciated. Note: if a user queries a component directly for disco info
then I assume that the server just sends that disco packet directly to
the component. This is a *different* question -- the one case where a
server has to make a disco reply on behalf of a component.

Thanks,
Matt