[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

Gaston Dombiak dombiak_gaston at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 21:07:23 UTC 2004

Peter,

Below are my comments regarding the new release.

>modified affiliation state chart to allow more flexible state changes
Setting a user as a member could raise the same error for different reasons.
The CONFLICT error could be returned if the desired nickname is already
reserved for another member. And the other case that could return a CONFLICT
error is when
the only owner of the room is changed to member which will leave the room
headless. I know that the last scenario won't be very common although is
possible if a sysadmin makes that modification.

>modified FORM_TYPE from http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#register to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user
I think that this changelog is the other way around. It should say "modified
FORM_TYPE from  http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#register"

>modified FORM_TYPE for room configuration from
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roomconfig
Is it possible that the example 138 has a wrong value in the field
'FORM_TYPE'? It currently has a value of
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner and I guess that it should be
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roomconfig

Even though the JEP includes a "Revision History" it was difficult for me to
locate the exact changes in the document. I'd suggest adding some references
in the changelog such as the number in the table of reference near the text.
For instance, "modified FORM_TYPE for room configuration from
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roomconfig" (see 9.2 & 13.5.3).

Regards,

  -- Gato

"JEP Editor" <editor at jabber.org> wrote in message
news:20041005034023.235E963CFE at hades.jabber.org...
> Version 1.17 of JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This JEP defines a robust protocol for XMPP-based text
conferencing.

> Changelog: Added text about allowable extension namespaces and related
service discovery mechanisms; specified well-known service discovery nodes;
added conformance terms to clarify some descriptions; modified affiliation
state chart to allow more flexible state changes; per list dicussion, added
ability to convert a one-to-one chat into a conference, including sending of
history; specified error to use when max users limit is reached; specified
form for admin approval of user registration requests and modified FORM_TYPE
from http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#register to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user; modified FORM_TYPE for room
configuration from http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner to
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roomconfig. (psa)