[Standards-JIG] JEP-0017 Framing: Why was it rejected?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Oct 20 08:26:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:15:20PM -0400, Bob Wyman wrote:
> Can someone please help me out here?
>
> I've been digging through the archives trying to figure out why JEP-0017 was
> rejected but I can't find a definitive answer in the stuff that I've been
> finding. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to some
> existing document or perhaps write a short summary of the case against
> framing in Jabber.

This thread of the Council mailinglist [1] gives the vote on this JEP
with a few rationales from the different members of the 2nd Council. The
vote tally can be seen here [2].

As the proposal changes the streaming protocol, I don't think the proposal
would generate legal XMPP. Reading the schema in RFC 3920, I think character
data as direct child nodes of stream:stream is not allowed.

[1] http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/council/2002-October/000524.html
[2] http://www.jabber.org/council/tallies_02.html

--
Groetjes,