[Standards-JIG] JEP-0080 accuracy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Oct 20 14:54:03 UTC 2004

Someone Jabbered me about two points in JEP-0080 so I'm forwarding the
concerns here...

1. Restricting the altitude to integers might discourage applications
that require more sensitive measurements (e.g., seismological surveying
equipment); a more appropriate datatype might be xs:decimal.

2. The implementation notes say that "Inferences MUST NOT be made about
accuracy from the number of digits specified in the location or
altitude." But this again seems too restrictive; perhaps "SHOULD NOT"
would be more appropriate.