[Standards-JIG] Re: LAST CALL: JEP-0118 (User Tune)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 25 22:50:08 UTC 2004

In article <417790E7.1070005 at vanbragt.com>,
 Bart van Bragt <jabber at vanbragt.com> wrote:

> JEP Editor wrote:
> > Abstract: This JEP defines a protocol for communicating information about
> > the music to which a user is listening.
> What is <length> supposed to contain when I'm listening to a stream?
>
> And maybe it's smart to wait with updating the pubsub node until the
> song has been playing for a few seconds. Most of the time I have all my
> music in my playlist with shuffle turned on. If my player happens to
> present me with 8 crappy songs that my girlfriend has added to our music
> collection (Norah Jones and the like :D) then I'm bound to hit 'skip' 8
> times in a row. It's kind of a waste of resources and bandwidth to send
> all those 8 updates to the network IMO.

Agreed, that is probably a good thing to add to the implementation
notes. Will do.

> Also it might be to include an URL into the package for streams or is
> that supposed to go into <source>?

Let's say you're listening to music streamed from the website for your
favorite band. The <source/> would be a URI where someone else could
find the stream (e.g., the band's website), and the <track/> would be
the URI of the stream itself. If that makes sense. :-)