[Standards-JIG] Re: Discovering of less concrete features

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Oct 27 23:09:38 UTC 2004

> If you consider that you need an XMPP connection to in order to perform
> service discovery, then checking for SRV or IPv6 support over this
> connection
> seems minimally useful.  At best it could facilitate the collection of
> statistics.

I think that's precisely the idea, though.  For instance, what would be
really wonderful would be a tool to run on jabber.org (or some
hypothetical community site, before someone makes that comment) where
you could just enter a server name if you wanted it added to the
'public servers' list.

This tool would then go ping the server in question, collect all the
statistics about its features, and add it into the database.
Periodically, it would ping the server again to get updated statistics.
  Then you'd have a nice web tool which, backed by this database, would
allow you to pick an appropriate Jabber/XMPP server, and would create
the account for you.

I dunno about you, but I would LOVE a tool like that.  It would make it
SO VERY MUCH easier to get folks to sign up. :)

--
Rachel 'Sparks' Blackman -- sysadmin, developer, mad scientist
"If it is not broken, give me five minutes to redesign it!"