[Standards-JIG] Re: Discovering of less concrete features

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Thu Oct 28 08:21:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Rachel Blackman wrote:

>> If you consider that you need an XMPP connection to in order to perform
>> service discovery, then checking for SRV or IPv6 support over this
>> connection seems minimally useful.  At best it could facilitate the
>> collection of statistics.
> I think that's precisely the idea, though.

You are right.

> This tool would then go ping the server in question, collect all the
> statistics about its features, and add it into the database.
> Periodically, it would ping the server again to get updated statistics.

http://scriptrepo.jabberstudio.org/jslist/

Currently JSList's frontend is not optimized for looks though ;-).

However, when thinking about what features are important for users, I for
example thought of stringprep (which, if absent, can really ruin the day
of non-english Jabber users as they may not be able to chat reliably with
users of XMPP compliant servers if their account is on a non-compliant
server). Discovering whether a server supports stringprep can be done
using a (remote) test suite, but feature discovery would certainly be
better in this case.

Same for server-to-server TLS.

Regards