[Standards-JIG] JEP-0085 INACTIVE definitions

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 18:02:44 UTC 2004

> Further clarified state definitions and adjusted suggested event timing

Can we please add "or starts interacting with another chat interface or
application" to the end of the definition of INACTIVE?

To me ACTIVE means the user is actively paying attention to the conversation
but not composing (usually waiting for the other person to reply or
considering their own reply). INACTIVE means the user is not paying
attention right now, but the chat session isn't terminated. GONE means the
user considers the chat session to be terminated (for the moment at least).

By those definitions, the user is INACTIVE in the chat session if they start
doing something else.

- Ian