[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0118 (User Tune)

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Thu Oct 28 22:02:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:54, you wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2004, at 11:19, Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:23, Julian Missig wrote:
> >> <length>0</length> means that the length of a song is zero. Not having
> >> a <length/> element at all means the length is unknown or not
> >> specified. Requiring a <length>0</length> addition just because you
> >> hate client authors for including from='' is just silly.
> >
> > <length>unknown</length> or similar would seem to make a fair bit of
> > sense,
> > too.
> >
> > What actually is the length of a stream though?  Unknown or infinite?
> >
> > :-/
>
> Then you're saying that clients will need to parse it as an integer
> except for when it's a string called "unknown"--I'm not sure that
> really makes any more sense.

The amount of code is similar whether you are checking if the element is null,
or whether you are checking if the text is a certain value.

Also, I don't see what the amount of code has to do with how much _sense_
something makes.  At least if it says "unknown", it's explicitly unknown,
instead of implicitly unknown.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>