[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0118 (User Tune)

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu Oct 28 22:15:11 UTC 2004

On 28 Oct 2004, at 18:02, Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:54, you wrote:
>>>
>>> <length>unknown</length> or similar would seem to make a fair bit of
>>> sense,
>>> too.
>>>
>>> What actually is the length of a stream though?  Unknown or infinite?
>>>
>>> :-/
>>
>> Then you're saying that clients will need to parse it as an integer
>> except for when it's a string called "unknown"--I'm not sure that
>> really makes any more sense.
>
> The amount of code is similar whether you are checking if the element
> is null,
> or whether you are checking if the text is a certain value.
>
> Also, I don't see what the amount of code has to do with how much
> _sense_
> something makes.  At least if it says "unknown", it's explicitly
> unknown,
> instead of implicitly unknown.

Except XML and XMPP/Jabber in particular do things that way--we're not
designing a binary protocol where everything must be explicitly stated.
A lot of XML is about being implicit rather than explicit when things
can be communicated that way.

What I was saying about the code was from a programmer's point of view:
you have something be an int under most circumstances except for this
one where it's something else.

Julian