[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060: Addressing pub/sub node with JID clarification needed

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Oct 29 22:28:09 UTC 2004

In article <41626BBC.1040409 at erlang-fr.org>,
 Mickael Remond <mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does the addressing scheme of pubsub node have an impact on the way to
> interact with it ?
>
> JEP-0060 says:
> If a pubsub node is addressable as a JID, the NodeID MUST be the
> resource identifier, and MUST NOT be specified by the "user" portion
> (node identifier) of the JID (e.g. "domain/NodeID" and
> "user at domain/NodeID" are allowed; "NodeID at domain" is not allowed). JID
> addressing SHOULD be used when interacting with a pubsub node using a
> protocol that does not support the node attribute. For example, when a
> service makes it possible for entities to subscribe nodes via presence,
> it would address nodes as JIDs.
>
> What about messages ?
> Should we send iq based pub/sub tags ?
> Should we send message tag with items enclosed ?
> Can we send normal message with payload directly included and considered
> that the resulting pub/sub message sent to suscribers will be generated
> with the explained pub/sub formalism ?

I'm not sure that I understand your questions -- did you ever receive
answers to these? You want to send messages directly to the pubsub node?
The JEP specifies how publication happens -- you send an IQ directly to
the pubsub service but specify a particular node. So the address of the
node (pubsub.example.com/ThisNode vs. pubsub.example.com plus a node of
ThisNode) doesn't affect publication.

/psa