[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0136: Message Archiving

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri Oct 29 22:47:37 UTC 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 03:24 pm, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In article <416E80C9.7050905 at vanbragt.com>,
>
>  Bart van Bragt <jabber at vanbragt.com> wrote:
> > It's really great that there is a JEP for Message Archiving, I'm
> > currently in the process of moving all history of my clients
> > installations (4 in active use) to my server because I constantly need
> > parts from discussions that are on another PC.
>
> One argument in favor of plain old XHTML is that the files could be
> found by the new generation of desktop search engines (Google Desktop,
> etc.) and rendered by any old web browser. But naturally the XML format
> in JEP-0136 could be transformed into XHTML using XSLT, so maybe this
> isn't really an issue...

JEP-0136 defines a format for containing IMs, in much the same way that
mbox/Maildir define formats for containing emails.  XHTML is unsuitable as a
basis for either application, as it is just a markup language.  However,
XHTML is suitable as content within those containers (although lots will
argue about this when it comes to email :) ).

-Justin