[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0001 (Jabber Enhancement Proposals(JEPs))

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Sep 1 22:40:38 UTC 2004

In article <11D121AB355B69448D3A9F2132D2A3AA194C72 at niobe.BlueHands.de>,
 "Heiner Wolf" <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:

> I am just curious:
> After a JEP has been approved by the council, can the JEP be changed?
> Will changes be approved by council?
> Is JEP-0001 a special JEP outside of the process specified by JEP-0001?

We continually update JEP-0001 to reflect experience with the JEP
process, but as author of that JEP I never publish an updated version
without first having all changes approved by the Council and often by
the Board of Directors as well. We sometimes make changes to Active JEPs
(Informational and Historical) to correct errors (such as a missing
schema or unclear wording) but those are approved by the Council as
well. We strive never to make changes to Final JEPs (Standards Track)
but sometimes it is necessary in order to clarify matters in the spec
(the major example of this was JEP-0004; we are more careful with more
recent JEPs); these changes are approved by the Council as well. However
these changes are not handled through an additional Last Call or a new
vote on the JEP, simply by discussion by the Council and announcement of
the revised version on this list. Members of this list of course are
free to ask for clarification regarding such changes, or to object to
the changes made by the Council.

Perhaps we need to adjust JEP-0001 to reflect this process? :-)