[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0096: File Transfer HTTP mechanism

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Thu Sep 2 17:56:02 UTC 2004

Ian Paterson wrote:

> PSA wrote:
>
>>>The HTTP mechanism could be 'jabber:iq:oob' (see the File
>>>Transfer example in JEP-95 Stream Initiation). In that case,
>>>IMHO, JEP-66 would need to be redesignated as 'standards track'.
>>
>>This is worth considering, IMHO.
>

> Cool.
>
> Can we also consider adding some basic metadata fields (optional for
> backward compatability of course).

I had started work on a couple of protocols (JEPs -0103 and -0104) for
URL-based transfers compatible with JEP-0096, that also added metadata
to URLs.

If we make "jabber:iq:oob" truly compatible with JEP-0096 (e.g. SI
session ID tie-in)[1], I think we could then adapt JEP-0104's
information to it, and retract JEP-0103.

-  LW

[1]  The SI session ID tie-in (probably via a "sid" attribute or <sid/>
element within the <query xmlns='jabber:iq:oob'/>) would only be
required for use within JEP-0096.  In legacy circumstances, it shouldn't
need to be there.