[Standards-JIG] Re: Recommended additions to JEP-130 (Waiting Lists)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Sep 3 20:29:06 UTC 2004

In article <stpeter-2C779A.13093603092004 at sea.gmane.org>,
 Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

> > Lastly, the service can send a notification similar to the successful
> > notification (i.e. in a message) that the URI cannot be located.  Something
> > like:
> >
> > <message
> >     type='headline'
> >     from='waitlist.service-provider.com'
> >     to='user at service-provider.com'>
> >   <waitlist xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/waitinglist'>
> >     <item id='12345' type='error'>
> >       <uri scheme='tel'>contact-number</uri>
> >     </item>
> >     <error code='500' type='cancel'>
> >         <remote-server-not-found
> > xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
> >     </error>
> >   </waitlist>
> > </message>
>
> I think this is the best of the three proposed approaches.

Well, the syntax seems a bit odd to me, since it embeds the error in the
<waitlist/> element and adds a 'type' attribute to the <item/> element
(which did not have that attribute before). But making it a message of
type error might seem strange as well (since you didn't previously send
a message but an IQ). That would look like so:

<message
    from='waitlist.service-provider.com'
    to='user at service-provider.com'
    type='error'>
  <waitlist xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/waitinglist'>
    <item id='34567' jid='contact at service-provider.com'>
      <uri scheme='tel'>contact-number</uri>
      <name>contact-name</name>
    </item>
  </waitlist>
  <error code='500' type='cancel'>
    <remote-server-not-found
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
  </error>
</message>

I'll noodle on it some more....

/psa