[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

James Bunton james at delx.cjb.net
Sun Sep 5 10:39:58 UTC 2004

On Sun Sep 5 05:10:33 CDT 2004 Justin Karneges wrote:
> > I'm not sure this needs to "bypass JSF standards". In case the additional
> > tag isn't in violation of XMPP-IM (I'm not sure it is), it should be
> > possible to submit an informational JEP?
>
> Provided the tag is namespaced, of course it's not a violation.  You can add
> any element into a presence stanza.
Check out the latest version of the proposal at
http://msn-transport.jabberstudio.org/roster-import.txt

The import tag is now namespaced (http://jabber.org/protocol/roster-import).
The PyMSNt implementation of this does send the namespaced tag.

I am definitely planning on putting out a JEP. Informational sounds about
right. It's not really a solution for anything except the transports. It is
definitely needed now though, there is no other way to get the contacts onto
the Jabber users' roster without some an awful user experience. This way also
has the huge advantage of being compatible with every existing Jabber client
out there. A proper solution wouldn't have support for a long time.

> Even if you want to go the Informational JEP route, I still think modifying
> the server would be worthwhile.  Just give a patch to Matthias, and release
> jabberd 1.4.4.  It shouldn't be that difficult.
I don't understand why modifying the server would be useful. The user needs to
give permission for the roster import to go ahead, so a client modification
of some kind is needed. I don't see how modifying the server would help in
this regard.

---

James