[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Sun Sep 5 14:56:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Richard Dobson wrote:

> I can see that some people are desperate to get something in and working
> now but IMO this is exactly what we shouldnt be doing, we should try to
> only standardise protocols that are going to last, IMO we certainly
> should not be standardising anything that we can already see we will be
> replacing anyway in the not so distant future, its far better to spend
> our time working on the longer term solution and inso doing getting that
> out in the wild faster than if we create a intermediary solution.

While this is an argument often mentioned, it does not apply to voluntary
development. People do what they're best at and what they are motivated to
do (which is good), they don't do what they are told to or what you hope
they do.

> If people really want something that works now that is only going to get
> replaced anyway then its probably best they do it as a non-standardised
> extension so they can solve their problems now without the rest of us
> having to spend too much time on standardising

James provided a reference implementation, a patch for a well-known
client, and a document that's not far from being a JEP. I don't see how
this wastes your or my time. It's just what we need: Not (only) paper, but
working solutions.

Regards