[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Mon Sep 6 10:00:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Matthias Wimmer wrote:

> Sure ... but allowing this on the server is just a hack again. You know
> that I even don't like your hack with that JIT "imports" the nickname of
> an ICQ contact to the servers roster.

Of course. I don't like it either. But this is the real world, these
things have to be dealt with. James' proposal is a lot better, so I'll be
happy with the "old hack" removed (which in fact still is an old bug in
jabberd14 which has *not* been introduced by me).

> I even expect that modifying clients will take effect much sooner. By
> modifying the server you have to convince each server administrator to
> update the server software

You're right (however, I think such an incentive would be a good thing as
most public servers run rather outdated server versions ;-).

> You should know that the server does not know which entities on the
> Jabber network are transports and even more it does not know which
> transports a user has registered.

Well, probably you know that in practice 99.9% of subscribed JID without a
username part are transports. The other 0.1% are people who accidentally
tried to subscribe to their own server ;-).

Regards