[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Mon Sep 6 15:51:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:22:18 +0200, Matthias Wimmer <m at tthias.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> maqi at jabberstudio.org schrieb am 2004-09-05 13:40:58:
>> > I don't understand why modifying the server would be useful.
>> Because we don't need to modify the clients then ;-).
>
> Sure ... but allowing this on the server is just a hack again. You know
> that I even don't like your hack with that JIT "imports" the nickname of
> an ICQ contact to the servers roster.

I would just like to say I *very* much agree this would be a hack!
Let's take a look at what this JEP is really about. Is it about sharing
Roster Groups? No it's not. You're not sharing it with anyone but
yourself! So that solution won't be right here.

This JEP is really about synchronizing subscribtion requests. What's the
right place for subscriptions? The <presence/> packet. Personally, I would
want *every* subscription to go through the client. After all, it's the
client that manages subscriptions, not the server! The server is only
supposed to store them. So is there any way we can do that NOT modifying
the client? And if we can solve it by this rather simple modification in
the client, is there any need to change the server? What further benefit
would this bring?