[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Mon Sep 6 16:54:48 UTC 2004

Hi Malte!

maqi at jabberstudio.org schrieb am 2004-09-06 12:00:23:
> > Sure ... but allowing this on the server is just a hack again. You know
> > that I even don't like your hack with that JIT "imports" the nickname of
> > an ICQ contact to the servers roster.
> Of course. I don't like it either. But this is the real world, these
> things have to be dealt with. James' proposal is a lot better, so I'll be
> happy with the "old hack" removed (which in fact still is an old bug in
> jabberd14 which has *not* been introduced by me).

Sorry Malte, I did not want to blame you for the server accepting
subscribed presences without a subscription request. I know that this
existed from the beginning of the server (I guess).

Even that I called it "your hack" was not meant to blame you for this
hack, but to tell which one I am talking about. As this extension has no
name and no documentation, I couldn't name it different.

... and I just removed the possibility to put yourself on the roster of
other users from jabberd14 today. My update of mod_roster.c is in CVS
now.

> You're right (however, I think such an incentive would be a good thing as
> most public servers run rather outdated server versions ;-).

Sure would it be good if admins would update their servers.

> Well, probably you know that in practice 99.9% of subscribed JID without a
> username part are transports. The other 0.1% are people who accidentally
> tried to subscribe to their own server ;-).

Even if this is the presence case, that could be change. The XMPP specs
don't tell anything about the semantics of a JID without a node in it.
They could be used for anything.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--