[Standards-JIG] Proposal for JEP-0054 update.. include SIP in TEL type

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org
Wed Sep 8 10:00:30 UTC 2004

Jesper Krogh wrote:
> I'd really like to have a SIP-address included in the Jabber-Vcard, but
> I don't really know how to integrate it properly, since SIP isn't really
> a telephone number.
>
> I should probably be integrated in this:
> <!-- Individual vCard container -->
> <!ELEMENT vCard (
>   (VERSION, FN, N),
>   (NICKNAME?,
>   PHOTO?,
>   BDAY?,
>   ADR?,
>   LABEL?,
>   TEL?,
>   SIP?, <<--- New
>   EMAIL?,
>   JABBERID?,
>   MAILER?,
>   TZ?,
>   GEO?,
>   TITLE?,
>   ROLE?,
>   LOGO?,
>   AGENT?,
>   ORG?,
>   CATEGORIES?,
>   NOTE?,
>   PRODID?,
>   REV?,
>   SORT-STRING?,
>   SOUND?,
>   UID?,
>   URL?,
>   CLASS?,
>   KEY?,
>   DESC?
> )*)>
>
> <!ELEMENT SIP (#PCDATA)>
>
> Is this a bad idea?

To my own point of view, this is a very good idea. SIP is also used in
France and SIP ID is a good information to track on a vCard.

An alternative to your proposal would be to use the phone field using
URI-like typing. For example something like:
phone://+3310403030102
sip://sipid@server.net

But I think it might be better in the long term to make the vCard evolve.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/