[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: Workgroups

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Mon Sep 13 06:58:52 UTC 2004

TX,

> Nolan has reminded me of my other question that was floating
> around in my head. :-) As you can tell, I'm still playing
> mailing list catch-up from several weeks worth of mail.
>
> The way I envisage this sort of thing working in practice is
> for the workgroup entity to be a service-like entity.  All
> the examples in the JEP have the workgroup specified as a JID
> with a node (support at company.com), however the most
> convenient way I found to implement this in practise was with
> a domain-only entity (support.company.com).

I suppose the overall workgroup "entity" might be a subdomain, but each
workgroup must be a JID. So, you could have the service live on
workgroups.company.com and have support at workgroups.company.com,
sales at workgroups.company.com, etc.

> And if so, does it make sense for support.company.com to be
> sending groupchat invites?
> Because it is the server itself, which is _definitely_
> unusual for groupchats. :-)

Shouldn't be possible since a workgroup must always be a JID.

Regards,
Matt

P.S. -- we have an Open Source implementation of the client-side of this
JEP available in the Smack project
(http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack). It's not fully up to date, but
should be over the next couple of weeks.