[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for JEP-0054 update.. include SIP inTEL type

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 13 17:08:37 UTC 2004

In article <413EE000.1030806 at erlang-fr.org>,
 Mickael Remond <mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org> wrote:

> Richard Dobson wrote:
> >> To my own point of view, this is a very good idea. SIP is also used in
> >> France and SIP ID is a good information to track on a vCard.
> >>
> >> An alternative to your proposal would be to use the phone field using
> >> URI-like typing. For example something like:
> >> phone://+3310403030102
> >> sip://sipid@server.net
> >>
> >> But I think it might be better in the long term to make the vCard evolve.
> >

> > Is there already an element defined in the standard vCard spec for SIP
> > contact details? Since the main purpose of the Jabber XML vCards is to
> > just provide an XML representation of normal vCards it would be good to
> > re-use something that has already been defined.
>
> It does not include the SIP field (See
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt) The TYPE attribute of the telephone
> number does not seem to take SIP into account.
>
> So surprisingly, vCard standard, in version 3 does not seem to take VoIP
> into account.
> I think you are right however that if a change is needed, it should be
> made on the vCard standard.

We've made enough "changes" to the vCard standard in JEP-0054 and I
would very much like to deprecate that before long. There are just way
too many problems with JEP-0054 for anyone to be happy with it, since it
is not even consistent with the unapproved Internet-Drafts from 1998 and
1999. But adding this in JEP-0054 is not the way to go, since it should
go into the vCard spec first. Perhaps it's time to finally look more
seriously (again) at FOAF or something like that:

http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/2004-09.html#2004-09-12T19:56

/psa