[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0054 vcard email definition is inconsistent

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 13 17:12:53 UTC 2004

In article <stpeter-D4554F.10563413092004 at sea.gmane.org>,
 Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:

> In article <20040909121044.BB67011849 at ctb-mesg1.saix.net>,
>  "Stephen Marquard" <scm at marquard.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If one looks at the DTD defined in JEP-0054 for vCards, the EMAIL
> > element can have four properties, viz. HOME, WORK, INTERNET, X400.
> >
> > However, the examples (e.g. example 4) also include PREF, e.g.:
> >
> > <EMAIL><INTERNET/><PREF/><USERID>jeremie at jabber.org</USERID></EMAIL>
> >
> > PREF is allowed for EMAIL in
> >
> > http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01.txt
> >
> > and also in RFC2426, so I think JEP-0054 should be modified so that the
> > DTD is in accordance with the examples (i.e. allows PREF).
>
> Yes, it seems appropriate to correct the DTD in JEP-0054. I'll do so
> when I have a chance.

Looking at this again, I see that the JEP-0054 DTD is quite far out of
line with the Dawson drafts and the damage is beyond repair. JEP-0054
was always intended to merely document what the Jabber community was
using (where we got vcard-temp I have no idea, since it is inconsistent
with the Dawson drafts in so many ways and this work was done before I
joined the Jabber community -- all I did was write up the documentation
in JEP form). So while it would be good for us to at least make the DTD
consistent with the examples in JEP-0054, making vcard-temp consistent
with either the Dawson drafts or RFC 2426 is a lost cause. It's time to
do something new and better.

/psa