[Standards-JIG] Re: Roster Subscription Synchronisation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 13 19:33:44 UTC 2004

First of all, the client proxy model followed by existing gateways (and
most fully described in JEP-0100) is a known hack. Optimizing protocols
around that hack could lead to unintended and undesirable consequences
unless handled very carefully. The primary purpose of our protocol and
code development is to build a truly open alternative to the closed IM
services, not to "interoperate" with them through client proxies. Let's
not poison our own technologies through efforts to talk with AIM and
MSN. Jabber technologies do not exist in order to help people chat with
all their friends on other IM services, and if people really want such
functionality then I suggest they use Gaim, Trillian, Fire, Adium, or
some other multi-protocol client. True interoperability needs to happen
at the level of server-to-server, not client proxy hacks.

That said, there are better and worse ways to follow the client proxy
model. In earlier days, gateways sent (and most likely still send)
presence stanzas of type ='subscribed' in order to add people to your
roster, but that behavior has been deprecated and is explicitly out of
court according to the XMPP specs. JEP-0100 recommends sending contacts
to a registered user with JEP-0093. This is a good and straightforward
use of JEP-0093.

The question is, what about roster synchronization? Sending newly added
roster items is one thing, but deleting them is quite another and
JEP-0093 was not designed to solve that problem (in fact all that
JEP-0093 is define a format for a roster item in a way that is slightly
different from jabber:iq:roster and not that many clients implement it
now anyway, even though it is a straightforward and helpful JEP). This
is essentially the same problem we have in defining shared groups. One
possible solution is to use the kind of method specified in JEP-0140,
which relies on the add/edit/delete semantics defined for pubsub in
JEP-0060. There have been objections to this model because "nothing
implements pubsub". But nothing implements roster deletions that adhere
to some changed version of JEP-0093, either. To me, it seems better to
re-use the protocols we've already defined. If the userbase for a
certain client really wants roster synchronization, then the relevant
client and gateway developers can implement something like JEP-0140. The
other approach is to modify JEP-0093 so that it says something about add
and delete (recommended, of course, rather than required, since as pgm
says rosters must be under the control of the user). I prefer the pubsub
approach because it makes good use of the add/edit/delete semantics
we've defined, rather than retrofitting them onto jabber:x:roster.

Peter