[Standards-JIG] XHTML-IM Conclusions

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Mon Sep 13 22:05:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:16, Ian Paterson wrote:
> - CSS is a very good, familiar and simple styling standard.

Simple to write, perhaps...surely not simple to implement.

If it were so simple to implement, then all the browsers would be able to get
it to work the same, such that a single site rendered in only one way on all
of them.

>   <message to='foo' from='bar'>
>       Be bold!
>       Wear a false limb!
>         Be <span style='font-weight:bold'>bold</span>!
>         Wear a <span style='color:red'>false limb</span>!
>   </message>

So basically, if I am on a monochrome Palm unit, and wanted to mark up bold
but not colour, I would need to parse CSS as well as XML in order to
determine what to drop.

Actually, I would need to do this anyway, as there are a wealth of CSS
elements which can be detrimental to the chat flow.  Weblog sites like
LiveJournal know all about this, as it enables you to mark up text appearing
outside of the area you're supposed to be writing in.  They have a
sophisticated set of regular expressions to clip out the bits they don't
want. :-)

But at least if it were all pure XML in some way, we could drop the elements
which don't make sense like we always do.  Even something based on the HTML
3.2 <font/> model would have been more appropriate for simple formatting,
even if it's completely useless for IM, because I suspect that the reality of
IM is people won't mark things up semantically anyway, since only one person
would get the benefit of the semantics. ;-)

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' -
Arthur C Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at jabber.xaoza.net