[Standards-JIG] Roster Subscription Synchronisation JEP revision 0.3

James Bunton james at delx.cjb.net
Tue Sep 14 10:23:09 UTC 2004

Ok. I've put up a new version that will hopefully make it clear to everybody
why JEP0093 will not solve the problem I'm trying to solve.
Get it at http://msn-transport.jabberstudio.org (scroll down to the bottom).

There are a whole lot of use cases documented there, I think JEP0093 can meet
a couple of them, but not all of them. Basically what's documented is any
change in subscription that may happen when a user uses another client to
manage their contact list. (none->to, none->from, none->to, none->both, and
so on).

It is impossible for JEP0093 to handle all this in it's current state, and in
my opinion it shouldn't even try! It was designed to send contacts between
Jabber entities, not to handle subscriptions at all.

This JEP provides a complete solution for gateways to synchronise legacy
rosters.

There's a client cheat sheet in the JEP, but it doesn't show up properly in
browsers, so I've put it in a separate HTML file to view. It shows how simple
this is for clients to implement. Really it's what I do whenever I use MSN
Messenger and change my contact list, and then come back to Jabber. It's just
documented formally.

For non-compliant clients, things will still work just as they do now, except
the user will have to manually reauthorise contacts.

Btw, there were a lot of use cases there, so I probably made some mistakes
with some of the technicalities. I'd appreciate it if anybody could read
through and make sure they all work.

---

James