[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Roster Item Exchange

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Fri Sep 17 00:08:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:49:05 +0100, Richard Dobson <richard at dobson-i.net>
wrote:

>> As for the "per" group trust. What does this mean? Can you delete
>> anyone in that group from the roster? Or just throw them out of that
>> group? For example what happens if I have a contact that wasn't in any
>> group before, then gets "suggested" to be added or modfified to a group
>> (for which I give the entity permisson to modify that group), and then
>> removed?
>
> If a group trust is being used the remote entity would only be able to
> add and remove items from that group, i.e. the contact is only being
> removed from the group so it would only be removed entirely if that is
> the only group the contact is in, if its in another group as well it
> wouldnt be removed entirely (only from the group), IMO thats how it
> would operate.

Look again at what I wrote please. What happens if I have an item in *no*
group (which is of course perfectly allowed), the remote entity "suggests"
to add it to the group you selected to give the entity full trust and then
"suggests" to remove it?

Either you prevent the entity from adding someone to it's group when the
contact already exists (particulary when it exists but has no group yet),
or you loose the contact.