[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 04:04:19 UTC 2004

> > 3. Whitespace should not be preserved (see Business Rule 7)
> > since this is NOT consistent with standard XHTML rendering.
> > The sending client should always use <p/> elements to
> > indicate line breaks. It may replace multiple spaces in
> > user input with multiple non-breaking spaces ( ), or
> > use the CSS padding-left property. For examples:

> In part, I agree with you...
> A possibly better solution would be to provide a
> default stylesheet for XHTML-IM messages, including all the
> appropriate CSS1 (or CSS2.1) properties to render "as expected."
> This stylesheet could then include a "white-space: pre" property

The idea of a recommended stylesheet for XHTML-IM is interesting.

However, I don't think it should include the 'white-space: pre' property.
According to the CSS1 spec "UAs may ignore the 'white-space' property". Many
CSS renderers do not support it (including the one built into Windows XP
that many client implementations will rely on).

I really think we should avoid any form of 'pre' if we can. Are there any
strong reasons NOT to use <br/> and  ?