[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Sep 22 22:17:51 UTC 2004

In article <94CC4648-0CCE-11D9-813A-000A958F753E at ceruleanstudios.com>,
 Rachel Blackman <rcb at ceruleanstudios.com> wrote:

> >> ;)
> >
> > Heh. So I take it that means you are in favor of the following:
>
> Well, the (somewhat emphatic) +1 was actually to the general sentiment
> that this is for IM styling, not document layout authoring. :)

I don't know, I think 18pt red bold is pretty emphatic. ;-)

> > 1. Removing <div/>
>
> Correct.  I don't think we need <div/>

We seem to have consensus to remove <div/> (more accurately, to make it
NOT RECOMMENDED in our profile).

> > 2. Saying that nesting of block elements is NOT RECOMMENDED
>
> Again, correct, I don't think we need nested block elements.  These are
> IM messages, not documents. :)

We seem to have consensus that nested block elements are NOT RECOMMENDED
in our profile.

> > And what is your position on whitespace handling?
>
> I actually think we should preserve it, admittedly.  I think it makes
> it easier to preserve both spacing /and/ wordwrapping, because if you
> make it that any more-than-one-space spacing needs to be turned into
> nonbreaking spaces, you can potentially mess up wordwrap.  (And yes, I
> do realize you'd just leave one of the spaces in the set a normal one.
> Still...)

Hmm. Saying that a UA should preserve whitespace is essentially the same
as saying to support the 'white-space: pre' style property, but that's
not even required by CSS1. It seems best for now to recommend replacing
newlines with <br/> and significant whitespace with non-breaking spaces
(where "significant" means it makes some material difference, such as
spaces at the beginning of a line or more than one space anywhere else
within a line). But we can revisit this during the Call for Experience
before the spec goes to final. Does that sound like rough consensus?

> However, I don't feel strongly enough on that one to fight the battle,
> so can accept either way.  Especially as I'm sure everyone's getting
> really sick of my lengthy replies on the XHTML discussion. ;)

Never!

/psa