[Standards-JIG] Re: DEFERRED: JEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications)

Cedric Vivier cedricv at neonux.com
Thu Sep 23 12:06:46 UTC 2004

JEP Editor wrote:
> JEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications) has been Deferred because of inactivity.
>
> Abstract: A standards-track proposal for communicating notifications related to chat states, including message composing events.

> If and when a new revision of this JEP is published, its status will be changed back to Experimental.

Maybe we could add in the introduction :
6. The protocol adds a new state 'GONE'.

IMHO the definition GONE suggested trigger should be changed to : "The
user closes the chat window."
(as in the MSN 'protocol'... it may be the only smart thing in the MSN
protocol' ;) )
The current GONE suggested trigger is superfluous because we have
already have the INACTIVE state to notify lack of user interaction for a
'long' period.

ps: we should really push this JEP for Last Call as it is simpler and
less prone to non-compliant implementations than JEP-22.
I have developped ChatStates support for pymsn-t and Psi, I'll send
patches on .devel before the end of the week (after some reorganization ;p )

--cedricv