[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Thu Sep 23 15:02:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:05, Byron Ellacott wrote:
> > That brings up an interesting thought.  Suppose I wanted a thick red line
> > down the left of the quote.  Does adding "border: 2px solid red;" to the
> > above styles ensure that the border won't break between the <p/> and the
> > <ol/>?  If so, then good, we don't need <div/>.  If not, then we need
>
> If you put that in a JEP-0071 XHTML-IM message, it will likely be
> ignored anyway, as "border" is not a recommended style.
>
> Further, if you think it's important that XHTML-IM include a mechanism
> for distinguishing quoted text from new text, it would be unwise to
> leave the distinction up to each client's author(s).  Rather, you should
> be arguing for the return of the <blockquote/> element such that clients
> may render all quoted sections the same.  There's a perfectly good
> structural element for this, let's not emulate it with visual style
> properties! :)

Chat messages in IM are mostly one line.
Like this one... not particularly long, and no real need to block format.

Now, if we have no element for quoting blocks of text, then all text is
sitting at the same level of the message.  Paragraphs can be "faked" by
linefeeds as we already do for plaintext messages.  So why do we have the
paragraphs at all?  I can represent any message by spaces and linefeeds, and
if the spacing is preserved, then I don't even need to do anything special
like replacing linefeeds with <br/> tags when I send the message.

> (And, I'm not convinced that the IM paradigm necessitates quoting an

Me neither.  But I've seen people quote my messages back to me when responding
to longer normal messages, as opposed to messages with type="chat".

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/